WHAT HELPS WARD OFF AND ELIMINATE MICE?
To remove and eliminate mice you must rely on a service from a professional that must always be taken into consideration when an infestation is near your home. So even if the mice have only been seen in the garden, it is still dangerous, especially if some children and pets can come in contact with the feces of the mice. The mouse will sooner or later try to enter the house, especially as autumn and winter approach when temperatures drop.
Eliminating mice primarily means knowing the biology of this pest. Mice are agile, intelligent, and have incredible physical abilities. They walk on the vertical walls of the buildings, jump up to 50 cm wide and take all the opportunities to gain access to your home. To remove and eliminate the mice it is therefore good to always solve the structural deficiencies and observe some rules of behaviour.
Mice are very prolific pests a female can have up to 5 litters per year, on average a litter has from 3 to 14 mice. It is therefore imperative to address the mouse problem as soon as possible. Managing mice infestations effectively is anything but simple! Not only is it essential to find the most suitable solutions for the type of infestation, but it is also necessary to use any rodent control correctly, especially evaluating their effectiveness. We must consider the strong immunity that rodents have developed towards products to eliminate mice and the lack of professionalism of improvised technicians with little knowledge of the pest.
If you are certain that you have mice in the house, you must first stay calm and not make the wrong move. The fight against mice must be entrusted to the hands of Pest Control Experts. Mice find their way into homes because people usually offer them easy entrances. Even a hole the size of a pencil can allow the mouse to enter the house, this is because their bones are so elastic that they can pass anywhere. Not only is it important to close all holes well, but it is also good not to attract mice with “easy” food.
Here are some useful tips that will help you keep mice away from your home and prevent them from forming their nests.
Eliminating mice: Major systems
Major Pest makes use of a wide range of modern equipment to eliminate mice such as repellents, rodenticides, traps and monitoring units.
When you want to eliminate mice, you can not only use a mouse bait but you must always use anti-tampering boxes and positioned in special places, properly marked. Rentokil offers a wide range of boxes and traps, which not only ensures effective control of mice in any place in the house, apartment or garden but also guarantees optimal protection: each box containing rodenticide bait carries precise instructions.
The main types of workstations and products are:
- Rodent control stations
- Toxic baits with an anticoagulant active ingredient
- Non-toxic food attractants
- Glue traps
- Electronic sensor and CO2 traps
- Multi-capture stations for rodents (and insects) Major Pest uses only products registered as medical-surgical devices at the Ministry of Health.
Effective mouse control requires appropriate mouse bait. Major Pest has a wide range of active ingredients in a variety to provide customers with the assurance that the mouse baits used are always perfectly suited to the environment and can also be used by home users. In other words, the fight against mice must always be based on the concept of “Safety first”.
Rat poison is treated with Bittrex, an extremely bitter substance for people but is easily accepted by mice. So if the rodenticide is ingested by mistake, it is instinctive to reject it.
Products with toxic active ingredients are compulsorily placed inside containers fixed to the ground, which cannot be tampered with and closed with a special key. The use of rat poison by one of the Major Pest experts is usually placed in the context of a clear plan for mouse control. This plan is based on pest control in affected areas such as the home, basement or garden. All traps containing poisoned baits are therefore chosen and positioned in compliance with environmental and customer needs.
Remedies for mice
To be able to give you advice on warding off mice, you should, first of all, understand where and how they get into your home or business, and what attracted them. The first step, therefore, is to eliminate potential access points such as openings in the masonry, open windows in the basement, etc. When asked what remedies for mice are, it is also important to reflect on the handling of food, supplies and waste. Goal: The food sources of mice must be removed. If you follow the tips listed below, you should be able to ward off mice in the future and prevent a new infestation from occurring.
Mice and rats easily enter environments that are not adequately insulated from the outside
Check the building structure
- Doors and Holes: Mice need only a few small slots indoors and holes in the wall to penetrate inside the building: spaces as thin as pencils are enough for the mouse to pass through. So it’s important to close any holes from the outside and apply bristle strips around the doors.
- Holes and cracks: Not just for energy reasons, but all basement and attic doors and windows should be checked regularly for leaks. Broken window panes should be replaced if possible. To further protect against mice, a wire mesh with an appropriate size mesh can be considered.
- Wall and ceiling openings: gaps in construction that cause openings in the walls or floor between rooms and floors, especially for installations, must be filled with suitable material and sealed. Another method of keeping mice away is sealing with suitable metal sheets, particularly for openings in wooden walls and ceilings.
- Elevators: The elevator can also be the reason for the spread of mice or rats. Major Pest Control are excellent climbers and can also run on smooth walls where cables, pipes, etc. develop and thus spread like wildfire throughout the building. The traction motor area in elevators often provides a relatively undisturbed area to build the nest.
Major Pest Control provides targeted advice to companies to adopt the correct exclusion measures against the access of rodents in the environments.
Visit our pages dedicated to barrier and monitoring measures against mice and rats.
How to get rid of mice: conduct
- Food leftovers and animal waste help attract mice into the house. Garbage cans and compost must not be placed near the house. One tip is to protect the compost heaps with a fine metal mesh, while the garbage cans must always remain closed and must be washed frequently. Sources of particularly strong odours should be sealed if possible.
- When asked what helps against mice with regards to pantries, compartments, drawers, etc. it is good to keep in mind that these should be removed regularly and thoroughly cleaned. Holes and cracks must be sealed.
- Mice gnaw almost any material they find, especially paper and shiny materials. To keep away from the food supply it is, therefore, necessary to keep mainly cereals, flour, nuts, pasta, dried fruit and spices in tightly closed containers. This also protects against insects.
- The food of pets such as cats and dogs, but especially birds and hamsters tastes very tempting even for mice. If you want to keep mice away, when possible, keep pet food indoors. Birdcages are a regular food source because mice prefer grains.
- Pet beds should be kept clean. The lack of it almost inevitably leads to a rat infestation.
- Against mice and their introduction into the house, it is advisable to keep the accesses to the garden or courtyard well-closed, especially in the winter months. The cold pushes the mice more and more to seek shelter inside the building. The same goes for basement windows which should not be left open. Even a very brief moment of your inattention is enough for mice to enter!
Driveaway the mice: do it yourself? Better to avoid it?
Most people who experience a rat infestation in the home would prefer to avoid using rat poisons. We have compiled the best tips and home remedies against mice that are supposed to help keep mice away but cannot guarantee effectiveness.
- It has always been thought that cats keep mice away. However this is true when it comes to feral cats, domestic cats do not need to hunt mice to feed and this makes them rather lazy in mouse hunting.
- Against mice, it is assumed that inserting cotton soaked in turpentine in their burrows will help keep them away.
- Chamomile, peppermint and peppermint plants contain substances that for some may help keep mice away.
- The cat litter box should help against mice. The theory says that the excellent sense of smell of mice will perceive the excrement of the cat, the main enemy, dissuading him from approaching.
- If you want to use attractants and mousetraps at home you can use peanut butter.
A wide range of Major Pest Control products, including traps and rat poison, are also available in DIY stores, garden centres and drugstores.
Have you already used many “grandmother’s remedies” for mice, but without success? While “do-it-yourself” products are an inexpensive method of controlling minor rat infestations, professional rodent control is required in the case of mouse colony settlements or repeated infestations. Major Pest, an expert in rodent control for years, offers a competent service for the treatment of mice and other pest problems in the home. Our service is fast, effective and offers the highest level of safety for your family and pets.
If you would like further advice or would like to arrange a visit from a Major Pest technician, call +61- 466333349.